Best Christmas Greeting Card Messages
If you are a fan of Christmas movies, then you are probably familiar with Will Ferrel’s famous line from the 2003 movie, Elf, “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.” Here at HELLOFROM, we think greeting cards are a more practical approach to seasonal greetings. You can personalize them however you would like. You can keep them forever. They require zero singing talent. Perhaps that is the greatest gift of all.
What are Christmas Greeting Cards for?
Aside from ‘spreading Christmas cheer,’ a Christmas card is a simple way to let someone in your life know that you care about them and wish them well. They are a point of quiet reflection in the midst of the holiday rush. When you send someone a Christmas card, what you are really sending them is an acknowledgement that you took time out of your busy life to think about them, and to share warm wishes and hope for the year ahead.
In times of trouble, small kindnesses matter the most. The simple act of telling someone that you care — that you are happy that they are in your life, and that you want good things for them — can have more power than you might realize. A Christmas card does not even have to involve ‘Christmas’ or religion; any winter holiday/themed card can be considered a ‘Christmas’ card. What matters is the thoughtfulness behind the card.
With all of these warm fuzzies in mind, deciding what to put in a christmas card can feel like just another chore to add to your holiday to-dos. Our HELLOFROM team put our Santa hats together and compiled our favorite Christmas card writing tips, as well as examples of sayings to put inside Christmas cards. Now you can spend less time stressing and more time envisioning sugar plums — or however you like to spend the holidays.
How to Write a Christmas Greeting Card
The only wrong way to write a Christmas card is to not write one at all — or to forget to send it. That being said, there are several ways to make your Christmas cards really stand-out;
- Make a list of recipients — and check it twice!
- Write something personal or consider a quote
- Remember to finish strong
Let’s take a closer look at how to say ‘Merry Christmas’ to someone in a holiday card.
Know Your Christmas Card Recipients
The first thing you need to do is decide who you want to send Christmas cards to this year. Maybe you will focus on family and close friends, or maybe you want to send cards to your colleagues and your boss. You might choose to include your child’s teacher, or your neighbors, or even your mailman. Compile your (nice) list early, along with any mailing addresses. This will help you decide how many cards to purchase, as well as what kinds of holiday cards to buy.
The Christmas card that you send to your best friend could be very different from the card you send to your grandmother or your boss. You can order different designs depending on the relationship you have with each recipient, or you can choose to buy one card enmasse. Some people even include a family photo on or within their Christmas cards. Whichever route you choose, your card can easily be customized by what you actually write in the card yourself.
Make Your Card Meaningful! Add Funny, Religious, or Special Quotes to the Card
Once you have your Christmas cards, it’s time to start writing! Christmas greeting card messages are the real stars of the show. Even the simplest card design can become a treasured gift when paired with a heartfelt, personal message. If you need ideas for something to write on a Christmas card, consider beginning with a traditional holiday-related greeting. You can not go wrong with a simple ‘Happy Holidays,’ ‘Merry Christmas,’ or ‘Season’s Greetings’.
Once you have the ball rolling, try to think of something personal to say to your recipient. Perhaps you can talk about fond memories of that person over the past year, or share a congratulatory message for something positive that recently happened in your recipient’s life — marriage, having a baby, landing a big promotion, etc. Another easy way to add meaning or embellishment to a Christmas card is by using a quote — as long as it fits the person who will be reading it. You can also take this as an opportunity to share about your own life and accomplishments. Just make sure to keep the focus of your Christmas card on the recipient.
Bring Your Signature Game
You have your cards. You have written your messages. Before you are ready to send all of your lovely holiday cards, make sure not to forget a proper send-off. A warm closing is always a good idea. You can even use one of the ‘simple’ greetings we mentioned earlier — ‘Happy Holidays’, etc. Remember to use proper titles for business-related Christmas cards or anyone you are not close to.
Best Christmas Wishes for Your Different Relationships
We have said it before and we will say it again: a card is more than a piece of cardstock. Sending cards should be personal and thoughtful. This is particularly true of the actual message that you write within the card. If the idea of planning all of those different messages has you feeling like a total Scrooge, know that your HELLOFROM team has your back. Check out our holiday feast of sayings to write in Christmas cards.
Friendship is the gift that keeps-on giving. What better way to tell your friends how you feel than with a Christmas card! Feel free to include humor in cards to friends, as well as fun memories and happy tales. If you need some ideas of things to say in a christmas card to a friend, consider these examples as a good jumping off point;
- Whatever is beautiful, whatever is meaningful, whatever brings happiness; may it be yours this holiday season and throughout the coming year.
- With a friend like you, who needs gifts? (I’d still love a gift, though.) Happy Holidays!
- Wishing you, my friend, all the special blessings of Christmas and the New Year.
- So grateful to have a friend like you at Christmas — and all year long!
- Happy Holidays to a true friend. Thank you for all that you do.
- Friends make the holiday season fun and festive.
- A friend like you is what makes Christmas special to me.
- This year, know that the best gift in my life is best friends like you. Merry Christmas.
- Remember that time I sent you a totally awesome Christmas card? Well, now you will. Merry Christmas.
- You’re someone who helps me remember the true reason for the season, and I’m so grateful for you.
- Your friendship makes every day feel like Christmas.
- Peace and joy to you and yours this Christmas season.
A HELLOFROM Card Example For Friends
When it comes to what to say in Christmas cards for family, either keep it sincere or keep it simple. One easy way to minimize the amount of actual writing you need to do is by choosing a Christmas card that already has a lot of text on it.; then you can just add a few lines of your own, and a signature. You might even consider adding a photograph of yourself/your family to the card, especially if your relative(s) live far away. Whatever you decide to write, make sure it’s appropriate for your recipient. Take a look at these notes to write in Christmas cards;
- The best present one can hope for this year is to spend time together. I can’t wait to celebrate the holidays with you.
- Merry Christmas with lots of love.
- Mom, thank you for everything you did to make Christmas special when I was a kid. I carry those memories deep in my heart. I love you. Merry Christmas.
- Thinking warmly of each of you and wishing your family an extra measure of comfort, joy, and hope this Christmas.
- Merry Christmas to the best (mom/dad/grandparent) in the world, the person that sees through my faults and loves me anyway. I’m wishing you joy and blessings this Christmas. I am so proud to call you a part of my family and I cherish the time I spend with you.
- Having parents like you is the best Christmas gift there ever could be.
- My favorite part about the holiday season are all of our Christmas memories together. I’m so thankful to have such loving people in my life. Here’s to many more Christmas memories and too many cookies!
- There is no greater gift this holiday season than spending time with family around the Christmas tree. Can’t wait to see you all on Christmas Eve!
- You will always be my favorite Christmas present, little brother.
- What can be better than opening presents, eating food, and singing Christmas music? Doing all those things with family like you!
- Christmas brings family and friends together; it helps us appreciate the love in our lives we can often take for granted. May the true meaning of the holiday season fill your heart and home with many blessings.
- Christmas may come once a year, but a grandmother like you is once in a lifetime.
- Looking forward to all the food and fun of our family gatherings.
- For me, the holidays start when we get together. Looking forward to talking and catching up soon!
- Merry Christmas to someone who makes our whole family so proud.
- Christmas is a great reminder of how much I love our loud and loving family.
- When I think back on all the happiest moments this year, your wedding day stands out. Hope the two of you enjoy a wonderful first Christmas together.
A HELLOFROM Card Example For Family
If you are sending any Christmas cards to your coworkers, think carefully about your relationship before you craft your message. Are you very close? Do they have a good sense of humor, or are they more serious? Do they even celebrate Christmas in the first place? A Christmas card is a kind gesture, but it needs to come from the right, respectful place. Try some of these ideas for nice Christmas card phrases;
- Wishing you unlimited joy and infinite fun! Hope these holidays rejuvenate you, so that you return with full on energy and enthusiasm. Take Care and happy holidays!
- You’re more than just a co-worker. You’re a friend. Happy Holidays.
- Working with you makes each day a bit holly-jollyer. Thanks for all that you do.
- I like seeing you at work– you add a bit of happiness to the place. Happy Holidays!
- I definitely didn’t want this holiday season to pass by without me wishing you a Merry Christmas! P.S. I’m happy we’re on the same team!
- Merry Christmas to my co-worker. May your holiday season be as bright as you make our office.
- Thanks for all of your hard work. I can’t wait to see what we can do this year!
- Your support and companionship means a lot to me. Thanks for everything. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
- Working with you is a pleasure in life. Merry Christmas to you!
- If it were up to me, I’d be sending you off on a tropical Christmas getaway, but Santa said this card would have to do.
- Wishing you some well-deserved downtime over the holidays. You’ve earned it!
A HELLOFROM Card Example For Coworkers
Bosses can be tricky to write for. You want to express yourself, but you don’t want to risk upsetting your boss. Finding the appropriate balance between jovial and professional is key. When in doubt, either lean more towards professionalism, or try one of these Christmas greeting wording samples;
- Merry Christmas! Looking forward to a successful year!
- At the holiday season, our thoughts turn gratefully to those who have made our progress possible. It is in this spirit that we say…Thank you and best wishes for the holidays!
- You are a pillar of our success. Here is wishing you a Merry Christmas.
- Working for you has made my time on the team a great experience. You have a gift for making people feel like they are important to our business. Merry Christmas!
- The holidays always make me reflect on my good fortune; this year, I feel extra fortunate to have you for a boss. Happy holidays.
- You have inspired me, and that is one of the greatest gifts I will receive this Christmas season.
- From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for being a great boss and a great source of inspiration and motivation.
- Thank you for a fantastic year, and for inspiring us through each and every obstacle. Merry Christmas!
- Our team wouldn’t be the same without you! Merry Christmas!
- Wishing a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to a boss who makes everyday feel like a holiday.
- Thank you for the successful year and the guidance in everything we do. We will meet again next year with a lot of new ideas and new energy.
- Before we all leave for the Christmas vacation, thank you for being an advisor and a friend.
- Workloads come and go. Clients come and go. Monthly business targets come and go, but Christmas comes once in a year and a boss like you comes once in a lifetime. Merry Christmas to the best boss in the whole world.
- You make work a lot less like work and more like a caring community. Merry Christmas, with thanks for all you do!
A HELLOFROM Card Example For Bosses
Christmas Sayings for Greeting Cards
There is no wrong way to wish someone a happy holiday. If you want to add a little something extra to your Christmas cards this year, a famous quote or a joke about the holiday season might be just what you need. Alternatively, if the recipient of your card falls on the religious side, consider incorporating a religious phrase or reference. Take a look at some of our favorite Christmas sayings and quotes;
Famous Christmas Quotes
- “Christmas is a time when everyone wants his past forgotten and his present remembered.” -Phyllis Diller
- “You can tell a lot about a person by the way they handle three things: a rainy day, lost luggage and tangled Christmas lights.” -Maya Angelou
- “You know you’re getting old when Santa starts looking younger.” -Robert Paul
- “Christmas is the day that holds all time together.” -Alexander Smith
- “I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” -Charles Dickens
- “Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store. What if Christmas…perhaps…means a little bit more!” -How The Grinch Stole Christmas
- “Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly Merry Christmas.” -Peg Bracken
- “At Christmas play and make good cheer, for Christmas comes but once a year.” -Thomas Tusser
- “Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone else” -Charles Schulz
- “Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.” -Norman Vincent Peale
- "I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month." —Harlan Miller
- "Christmas will always be as long as we stand heart to heart and hand in hand." —Dr. Seuss
- "One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas Day. Don't clean it up too quickly." —Andy Rooney
- “Christmas is not an external event at all, but a piece of one’s home that one carries in one’s heart.” —Freya Stark
- “I prefer the retro chic of spending Christmas just like Joseph and Mary did — traveling arduously back to the place of your birth to be counted, with no guarantee of a bed when you get there.” —Tina Fey
- “I am not 100 percent certain what a sugarplum is, but for a few weeks every year I’ve got visions of them dancing in my head anyway.” —Jane Green
- "The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other." —Burton Hills
Funny Christmas Sayings
- Ho Ho Hope you’ve been good this year. Merry Christmas!
- Three phrases that sum up Christmas are: Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men and Batteries not Included.
- There’s snowbody like you!
- I put so much thought into your gift that it’s now too late to get it. Merry Christmas anyways!
- Christmas is a time for remembering family and trying to guess everyone’s sizes! Have a wonderful Christmas.
- Wishing you a white Christmas! (And when you run out of white, just open a bottle of red.)
- You’re a gift in my life. And not the kind I’d return for store credit. Merry Christmas!
- Wishing you hope, peace and lots of Christmas cookies this holiday season!
- This holiday season, let’s make it a point to cherish what’s truly important in our lives: cookies.
- Snow is white, Rudolph’s nose is red; instead of a gift, have a poem instead!
Religious Christmas Sayings
- Jesus is the reason for the Christmas season.
- God bless you at Christmas and always.
- May the timeless message of Christmas fill your heart and home with joy.
- May you have the gift of faith, the blessing of hope, and the peace of His love at Christmas and always.
- Holy Christmas Night. On this holy night may your heart be illuminated with love, joy, and peace. We wish you a wonderful season. Merry Christmas to all!
- Rejoice in the birth of our Lord and Savior. May the blessings of Christ be upon you and your loved ones this season and into the New Year.
- May God’s blessing shine down upon you and your family this holiday season. Sending love from our family to yours.
- May the blessing of knowing Christ enrich your life in the year 2019.
- A Christmas prayer from the [insert name here] family. We pray your spirit is light with hope, your heart is filled with joy, and your holiday is blessed with the Glory of God. May His love bring you peace at Christmas and always.
- As you celebrate the miracle of this special season, may your heart be filled with joy and peace. May these holiday blessings linger in your home and stay with you throughout the year.
- For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 Merriest Christmas!
- For today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:11
- She will bear a Son; and you shall call his name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins. Matthew 1:21
- May God fill your Yuletide season and all your days with immeasurable prosperity and joy! Merry Christmas!
- Sending prayers and hearty Christmas greetings to you. May you receive the most special of God’s blessings during this amazing Christmas season.
- Merry Christmas! I hope you receive one blessing after another this coming year.
- May the true spirit of Christmas shine in your heart and light your path.
Other Things to Write in Christmas Cards
- Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
- Wishing you a Merry Christmas!
- May the spirit of Christmas be with you throughout the New Year.
- Unwrap yourself a joyful Christmas!
- Have a holly, jolly Christmas!
- Have yourself a Merry little Christmas, let your heart be light.
- May this Christmas end the present year on a cheerful note, and make way for a fresh and bright New Year.
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
- May the Christmas season fill your home with joy, your heart with love, and your life with laughter.
- Here’s to a season filled with warmth, comfort and good cheer!
- Tidings of Joy.
- Wishing you the gifts of the season —Peace, Joy, Hope.
- Joy! Celebrate the season.
- Wintry wishes. May this season bring you the gifts of peace, hope, and joy.
- Best wishes for a joyous Christmas filled with love, happiness, and prosperity!
- Merry Christmas! Wishing you all the happiness your holiday can hold!
- May your holidays sparkle with joy and laughter.
- May your family have a holiday season that is full of wonderful surprises, treats and nonstop laughter.
- Merry Christmas! Wishing you all the best this holiday season!
- Wishing you a Christmas that's merry and bright!
- We hope you have a safe and relaxing holiday season.
- May your days be merry and bright, and may all your Christmases be white. Happy Holidays.
Send the Perfect Christmas Greeting Cards
Our experts may not know if you’ve been bad or good, but we definitely know how to help you write a Christmas card. Whether you need ideas for things to write in your best friend’s Christmas card, help keeping track of all of your important holiday events, or the perfect greeting card for, HELLOFROM is here to help. Connect with us today! Let’s work together to keep the ‘happy’ in your ‘holidays’.
- What To Write In A Birthday Card
- What To Write In New Year's Card
- What To Write In a Valentines Day Card