What To Write In A Thank You Card
We live busy lives. We fill our days with work, school, family time, hobbies, and a slew of other things. Even in the fullness of each day, though, we can step back and see the people who are making our lives better. We interact with our kids’ teachers, healthcare workers, grocery store clerks, baristas, etc. every day. Their work is important and we often benefit from the services or experiences they provide.
In the spirit of gratitude, we can slow down and express our appreciation for these people. But how do we do that? How do we say “thank you” or “I appreciate you” in a genuine way? And what does appreciation look like for the various people in my daily life?
Have no fear - we’ve got you covered. An appreciation message doesn’t have to be overcomplicated, and we want to help you say what you mean to the people who matter to you. So let’s dive in and explore the many ways to write a message of gratitude!
What Is A Card Of Gratitude?
A card of gratitude can express a number of sentiments. You can say “thank you” for something specific or you can convey your appreciation for consistent service over a long period of time. Messages of gratitude can vary depending on your relationship with the recipient. A note for your favorite Amazon driver will probably look different than a message for your mom who’s been watching your kids often. A variety of contexts calls for a diverse list of gratitude messages.
There are also different ways of saying “thanks” vs. “I appreciate you”. Both are valuable, but each calls for its own thoughtful approach.
What is the difference between an Appreciation & A Thank You Card?
It’s certainly acceptable to use these sentiments interchangeably, but when we consider the difference between appreciation (gratitude) and thankfulness, we get a fuller picture of these valuable relationships around us. Our thankfulness is more of an automatic response, one in which we see something kind or helpful someone else has done for us and we react with a “thanks”. Gratitude often brings a more emotional response - we may reflect on an experience or relationship and find deep appreciation for the impact that person has had on our life.
Things To Write In A Thank You Card
Ready to get going? Let us show you how to write a thank you note. You may find yourself sending thank you cards to a number of people, and we’re here to help you find the right message for the right audience. Check out these thank you card messages for a variety of contexts.
Simple Thank You Messages
Sometimes, the simplest sentiments are the most impactful. It means a lot to be acknowledged, and there are several great ways to recognize another’s kindness in your life. Check out these examples for a short and sweet thank you note.
- “I’m touched beyond words.”
- “I’m humbled and grateful.”
- “You knocked me off my feet!”
- “You’re a blessing to me.”
- “Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can’t say it enough!”
- “Your kindness means the world to me/us”
- “You’ve gone above and beyond! Thank you!”
- “Your thoughtfulness made my day!”
- “You get me! Thanks for thinking of me!”
- “Your presence made the day fuller and richer!”
- “You’re the best!”
- “Thanks, neighbor! So glad to have you nearby.”
- “You saved my butt! Thanks so much!”
- “Thanks, friend! You always have my back.”
For A Gift
Baby showers, weddings, housewarming parties, graduation ceremonies - what do they all have in common? Gifts! And we’re so thankful for the people who celebrate us with these fun, tangible forms of love and care. Whether it’s money or gift cards, or something personal and custom-made, it’s a valuable thing to show gratitude for these gifts. Next time you unwrap something fun, try a new way to say, “Thank you for your thoughtful gift!”
- “Thank you for the Ikea gift card! I can’t wait to fill my new home with fun things!”
- “I love how you know my need for coffee. Thanks for the Starbucks card and for fueling my habit!”
- “You’re a lifesaver! These grocery gift cards will be such a lifesaver as we adjust to being a family of four!”
- “I’m so excited to read this book. Thanks for thinking of me and my next steps!”
- “This is the perfect addition to our home. Everytime we walk by this photo, we think of you and feel so grateful!”
- “Could this quilt be any more beautiful?! This is such a thoughtful, meaningful gift for our little one.”
- “A board game was the perfect gift for us newlyweds! Thanks for helping us bring some fun into our new home!”
- “Thank you for this thoughtful gift! You know us well, and we feel so seen by you!”
- “You get me! This shirt is perfect, and I will wear it as much as possible on campus next year.”
- “Thanks so much for the generous gift! I really appreciate your thoughtfulness!”
It is such a gift to be welcomed into someone’s home or space. We all know that hosting others is a delight, but it’s not always convenient. Let your friends and family know how thankful you are for the way they made you feel at home.
- “You are a lifesaver! Thanks for having us for dinner and making us feel welcome in the new neighborhood.
- “That dinner was amazing! We couldn’t stop talking about the great food and the even better company.”
- “We loved staying with you and your family. Thanks for providing a beautiful, comfortable place for us.”
- “You went above and beyond the role of host! Thanks for showing us around town and being our tour guides!”
- “We’ve felt so at ease in your home this week. Thanks so much for your kind welcome!”
- “It was so good to be in your home and connect with you more. Thanks for brunch and for space to talk!”
- “What a great party! You are a great host and thought of so many fun details! Thanks for letting me be a part of it!”
- “Thanks for letting us crash as we passed through, Aunt Linda! Your home is such a welcome sight and holds so many great memories for me.”
For Professional Relationships
In our work and professional worlds, saying “thank you” after an interview, special meeting, or presentation is a great way to maintain important relationships. These messages of gratitude can feel intimidating, but they’re actually quite simple. What did they do that was helpful? How did you benefit? Check out a few of these examples for the professional “thank you”.
- “Thanks so much for taking the time to talk with me yesterday. I’ve enjoyed learning more about your firm and how your work impacts our city. I hope to talk with you again soon!”
- “Thank you for sharing with our journalism students yesterday. Your knowledge and experience are so valuable, and our students have benefitted greatly from their time with you.”
- “I can’t thank you enough for our recent conversation. I feel more excited and more equipped to walk into the medical field now, and your words truly impacted me.”
- “I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you and the company during my recent interview. Thanks for the valuable questions and conversation. I look forward to connecting more in the future!”
Things To Write In An Appreciation Card
Is there a teacher who has deeply impacted one of your kids? Does your favorite barista go above and beyond to make your morning a good one? On days that often feel stressful or just mundane, we realize how truly grateful we are for these people. Think of the individuals around you who make life fuller and richer, and let us help you write a thoughtful appreciation message.
Families are often great helpers and encouragers. But sometimes, someone steps up in a profound way and your life is better for it. If you have family members that have extended special care or found ways to actively serve you, let them know how grateful you are!
- “Mom, you have made life with a new baby better than I could have imagined. I couldn’t have survived these last few months without your help around the house and your kindness towards me. I’m so grateful!”
- “Dad, I so appreciate the hours you’ve put in on helping us with home repairs. We’ll remember your kindness often as we settle into this space.”
- “Thanks so much for helping with our kids, Sis. This month has been crazy, and it’s given us a lot of peace knowing our kids are with you.”
- For a spouse: “Our house is in one piece and our kids are thriving because you have kept things together this past week. I really appreciate how you’ved stepped in where I couldn’t - I truly couldn’t do this without you.”
- “You are the best brother and uncle! Thanks for taking special time with your nephew and making him feel so loved. I’m so glad you’re in his life!”
- “Aunt Diane, I so appreciate how you always remember our birthdays. Thanks for the kind notes and the silly songs for our kids. We are so grateful for the way you see and love our family!”
We all know the truth - teachers are saints, magicians, miracle workers. They are gifts to us and our kids, and they deserve more appreciation than we’ll ever be able to give. Here are a few appreciation card ideas for the educators in your life:
- “It’s been a crazy year for everyone, but I imagine especially so for teachers! Thanks for the work and dedication you put in every day. We’re so lucky to have you!”
- “You have been such a blessing to us! Thanks for seeing James as an individual and working to make his kindergarten experience such a great one.”
- “We’re so grateful to you and all the energy you put into your classroom. It’s clear you love what you do - your students love learning from you!”
- “Even in the midst of a challenging school year, you have impacted our son greatly. Thank you for investing in him!”
- “We’re so thankful to have you as Katie’s teacher this year! She was so nervous about 3rd grade, but you have made her excited about school every day.”
- “Thank you for a great semester, Professor. I was deeply impacted by your love for literature, and I am so thankful to have learned under you.”
For Mail Carriers
You may not have a close relationship with the people who drop off bills and packages, but without them, life would not be the same. They come every day, faithfully and without much thanks. Here are a few ways to surprise your mail carriers with a note of appreciation.
- “Just wanted to say we appreciate you so much! Thanks for your hard work and consistency!”
- “You are the real MVP! Thanks for delivering our mail in this crazy snowstorm!”
- “You may be our kids’ favorite person in the world. Thanks for bringing so much happiness to our home!”
- “Day in, day out - you’re here! Thanks for being the best mail carrier!”
- “Your reliable service always means a lot, but especially during recent weeks. Thank you for the work you do.”
- “Just a little out-of-the-blue thank-you for my favorite mail carrier.”
- “You’re the best! We’re so grateful for how you’ve served our family all of these years.”
For Resturant/Delivery Worker
The service industry is full of dedicated individuals, despite the stress and challenges that face them every day. When you get the chance, find a way to tell your barista, server, or delivery person how much you appreciate the work they do. Scribble a note on your receipt or send a card with your words of appreciation - try a few of these messages!
- “Thanks you for making my coffee perfect every time. And thanks for not judging me buying coffee everyday. You fuel my habit, and I love you for it!”
- “You are my favorite person to see when I walk into the restaurant. Thanks for remembering us and for making our experience such a positive one!”
- “You’ve made our date night perfect! Thanks for your attentiveness and good suggestions. We will be definitely be back - and we’ll make sure to request your section!”
- “I know this job can be a thankless one, so I just wanted to say I appreciate you! Thanks for braving the bad weather and bringing us our favorite meal. It made our night!”
- “You are incredibly good at your job! Just wanted you to know that I see how hard you’re working, and you are a pro.”
- “You are an amazing human and barista! I’ve watched you exercise patience and kindness with rude customers, and I’m so impressed. I appreciate you and what you bring to this little coffee shop.”
For Healthcare Professional
Doctor’s appointments are never convenient, but they are part of life. When someone makes the “have–to” feel like a “get-to”, you know you’ve found a great healthcare professional. We all know that one nurse, technician, doctor, or front desk worker who made the visit all the more bearable. Find a way to tell them you appreciate them and the excellent level of work they do.
- “Thanks so much for your special attention to our son today. He is terrified of doctor’s visits, and today, you made him feel so safe! I’m so grateful.”
- “After avoiding the dentist for several months, I walked into your office and immediately felt at ease. Thank you to the entire staff for helping me face my fears and get the care I needed!”
- “I have never loved an eye doctor more! Thanks for answering all my questions and giving me helpful information.”
- “Blood work is never fun, but your staff of nurses made my day! I really appreciate your office culture and attitude!”
- “Thanks so much for seeing me on short notice. I appreciate your attention to my needs and your quick response to my requests. I can’t say enough good things about the care here!”
- “You are the world’s best nurse practitioner. I look forward to every visit with you, and I continue to sing your praises to friends. Thanks for the care and professionalism you always provide!”
Special Delivery For Appreciation Cards
Now that you’ve identified someone who deserves some appreciation, wouldn’t it be fun to get creative with how you express your gratitude? An appreciation message in a card is a great idea - why don’t we add a special delivery method, too? Check out a few of these suggestions for taking your gratitude to the next level.
How To Close Your Message Of Gratitude
You’ve written the note. You’ve acknowledged the work they’ve done, the kindness they’ve extended, the intentionality in their care. And now, it’s time to wrap up the message. Here are a few simple ways to close out your messages of gratitude:
- With much gratitude,
- So thankful for you,
- Eternally grateful,
- Feeling thankful,
- All our best,
- With much love,
- Thank you!
- You’re the best!
- Hugs from us to you,
- Giving thanks,
- God bless,
- Blessings to you!
- Wishing you all the best,
Send The Perfect Gratitude Card With HELLOFROM
As you search for the just-right words to say “thank you”, don’t forget to say it with a card from HelloFrom. We’ll help you take care of the guesswork - we’ll find you the right cards for the moment and get you ready for whenever the appreciation bug strikes. Share your gratitude with HelloFrom!