New Year is a holiday made from all the best ingredients, and topping that list is the unique feeling of being momentarily suspended in time. The sensation is something like when you have the chance to straddle a state line - half of your body in Nevada while the other is firmly planted in California. New Year often involves a simultaneous looking back and a looking forward, a mixture of reflection and hope. The turning of a calendar year is a fantastic opportunity to capitalize on all of those intentional vibes and send a thoughtful little something to your friends, neighbors, co-workers, clients, and family.
How to Write a Greeting Card for New Year
New Year itself seems to have a friendly roll-off-the-tongue message built right in: HAPPY New Year! However, maybe you want to say more! …but what? What belongs between the pages of a New Year card? New Year quotes? New Year motivational messages? Inspirational greetings? HELLOFROM has put together a helpful guide to enable you to infuse your New Year well-wishes with meaning. In recognition of the classic New Year’s Eve countdown, we’ve organized our card-writing tips and tricks from 10 to 1. (Or, jump right down to our many top-notch examples!)
(10) Consider your audience! (Grandma? Client you represent? Karate Instructor?)
(9) Consider your audience *again.* Your New Year card can do more than just be relationship- appropriate; it can be moving. Take a moment to think about the recipient of your good intentions and what he/she may have experienced in the last year: the good, the bad, the ugly.
(8) New Year greetings are perfect for opening lines that pack a punch. “Dear” is just a little bit tired. Consider “My favorite neighbor,” or “To the person who can light up the room.”
(7) If an over-the-top intro isn’t your style, think about a simple “Hi!” Beginning your card with an actual greeting automatically makes the message feel more personable because you would naturally say “hello” in one form or another if you found yourselves face-to-face. (Note: this is also a great tactic for sms New Year wishes!)
(6) Decide the tone/intention. Is your note going to be celebratory? Appreciative? Maybe you’re shooting for more of a motivational New Years greeting card? Your first words should match the overall message you want to convey.
(5) If you’re aiming for short and sweet: You can be brief without being flippant. You know how you can tell when someone is smiling, even over the phone? If you have true reflection happening in your heart and mind while writing a card, that sentiment comes through - whether in many words or few. In fact, set a challenge for yourself to boil your message down to just a single sentence! Limiting yourself in this way can really encourage the truest, most genuine communication (and a very nice New Year message)!
(4) If you want to really use some ink: A long message in a New Year card can be a beautiful, artistic, meaningful gift. Our biggest tip here is to recognize that sometimes we just run out of steam! Organize your pile of cards that you’d like to write with your highest priorities on top. You can even time yourself to gauge how long each message is really taking and set realistic intentions for your card/novel hybrids.
(3) Avoid cliches. We don’t mean you have to be entirely original, but some part of our brain (the part that operates like a time-saving machine) just glazes right over platitudes. “Stay cool, never change” is written in yearbooks, but never really read.
(2) Include as much personalization as possible. This is a relevant tip for any occasion, but “How to write a Happy New year card message” can be answered by: be warm, be yourself, look to connect. Do you have an inside joke? Any specific plans together in the coming year? Any favorite memories? Shared hardships? A recipe you’ve been meaning to jot down to share?
(1) Close with style. The cherry on top of a good message is actually at the bottom - end on the terms you want to have going into the next calendar year. Some suggestions: Warmly, With Affection, Yours, Your ride-or-die, With 365 hugs.
Messages for Greeting Cards, SMS, and Face-to-Face
HELLOFROM wants to do our small part in making the transition from 2021 to 2022 an excellent one. As much as we would love to magically sprinkle goodwill over everybody, everywhere…reality persists: the best way to make the world compassionately connected and brimming with meaning is one good encounter at a time. These human touch points can be face-to-face, through a call or text, or with a greeting card. This brand new guide is for a brand new year and has been organized with much resolution. (...get it?)
Our guide allows you to pop down to different categories to assist you to craft your own unique messages, or simply personalize some tried-and-true examples.
- Timeless Happy New Year Wishes
- New Year Wishes for Loved Ones
- New Year Wishes from a Business
- New Year Quotes
- Funny New Year Wishes
- Religious New Year Wishes
- Bible Verses for the New Year
- Motivational New Year Wishes
- SMS Messages for New Year
And, if you’re looking for a “just-right” card to go with your expertly crafted message, take a look at the New Year cards HELLOFROM has to offer.
Timeless Happy New Year Wishes
The surest way to land something in the coveted category of “timeless” is with QUALITY. An elegant message to recognize the unsullied hopefulness of a new year can span a wide range from general to personal, but will be considered by the recipient to be both thoughtful and in good taste. Some examples:
- Cheers! May you be happy and well in the coming year.
- New year, new plans, and many new memories to be made! Wishing you the best!
- Happy, happy, happy New Year!
- Wishing you health, wealth, and JOY in 2022!
- May the new year provide abundance, peace, and much cause for celebration!
- 365 days in this brand new year, and I’ll love you during each one of them.
New Year Wishes for Loved Ones
New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day are just a spectacular two-for-one deal in terms of holiday merrymaking. With that ultra unique combination of reflection on the previous 12 months and hoping/planning/dreaming for the next, taking time to write a nice New Year message to family and friends shows that you want them to be part of your past AND your future. In addition, these cards can be especially fun to craft, since you can be as silly or as serious as your relationship allows.
- I think you’re the bee’s knees!
- I’m really, really ready for a different year. Let’s do 2022 together and let’s do it right.
- Want to spend 2022 with me? (Check yes or no)
- You know that game “thorns and roses” where you say your bright spots and your challenges? This particular year has had a lot of thorns…but you have been my rose!
- Remember when we spent that snowy afternoon sliding down the neighbor’s hill in cardboard boxes? Let’s make 2022 as awesome as that.
- In the coming year…I’m in your corner.
- There’s nobody I would rather have by my side at the beginning of a new year. Here’s to the many new memories we’ll make in 2022!
- The most important thing in the world is family and I’m so thankful I get to call you MINE!
- Wishing you a year packed full of fun, adventure, surprises, and success.
- I want you to know…I am your biggest fan!
- I’m so proud of you.
- Seeing the way you handled the challenges of this past year has given me a front-row seat to experience just how wonderful you are. I am so thankful to share life with you.
- Just in case I don’t manage to say it every single day of this next year: I love you.
New Year Wishes from a Business
Sending a personalized New Year message is a fantastic avenue to promote warmth and interconnectedness. Businesses can easily be perceived as somewhat faceless - an abstract organization that provides a service. However, with small thoughtful gestures like a Happy New Year card (or New Year sms message), the business becomes humanized, and naturally establishes more goodwill and brand loyalty. Use this celebration as a time to express your gratitude for the people that have supported your business in the past year.
- Best wishes from the bottom of our hearts!
- Thank you for your support in 2021 - we appreciate you!
- Serving you in 2021 was a pleasure. We wish you an exceptional New Year!
- Because of you, we get to do what we love! Thank you for your previous business, and we look forward to continuing to serve you in 2022!
- Our team would like to say THANK YOU for making this such a successful and fulfilling year.
New Year Quotes
Sometimes a quote is just what the doctor ordered. Perhaps you’re concerned that a New Year quote will be perceived as less thoughtful/personable, but that certainly doesn’t have to be the case. A quote from that funny movie you’ve seen together again and again evokes bucket-loads of memories and connectedness. Quotes can be relevant to specific joys or challenges that show how deeply you understand the current mental and emotional state of the recipient. Something else to consider: quotes don’t have to be from famously eloquent speakers, books, or songs…your quote can be part of a favorite inside joke. You can aim for New Year inspirational quotes, or head in a different direction with funny, nostalgic, or deep. As HELLOFROM says, “Quotes are a great way to go!”
- “Year’s end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us.” -Hal Borland
- “Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, Whispering ‘it will be happier.” -Alfred Tennyson
- “Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.” -Benjamin Franklin
- “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.” -Michael Altshuler
- “Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” -Carl Bard
- “What the new year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the new year.” ― Vern McLellan
- ”We all get the exact same 365 days. The only difference is what we do with them.” ― Hillary DePiano
- “Celebrate endings - for they precede new beginnings.” - Jonathan Lockwood Huie
Funny New Year Wishes
Too bad laughter is already so firmly claimed as the best medicine, because it should also absolutely be in the running for “the best way to start a new year.” Humor is a balm for the soul, a wonderful tonic for myriad trials. Also, humor is often the match that lights the fire for resilience, creativity, and even generosity. The business of sending a funny New Year’s card (or New Year’s Eve card) is an art-form that’s one tenth delivery, and nine tenths knowing your audience. You can really think out of the box with messages that involve hand-drawn pictures, comic strips, an old memory, or even a joke or pun (ah, a good pun is its own reword)!
- Let’s remember: just before the clock strikes midnight we should lift our left legs…we want to start the new year on the right foot!
- 2021 went by in a blur…my resolution must have been too low!
- How do you catch a unique rabbit? …unique up on it! I hope your new year is unlike anything you’ve experienced before!
- What do you call a factory that makes okay products? …a satisfactory! I’m wishing you something better than a satisfactory year, and many more to come!
- An old man at the bank asked me if I could check his balance, so I pushed him over. Just wanted you to know, I’d do the same for you! You can count on me in 2022!
- What did the fish say when he swam into a wall? …Dam. Here’s to our hopes that this year has many more doors than walls!
Religious New Year Wishes
New Year is a reflective holiday, with a heightened air of hopefulness and goodwill. Themes within this particular holiday often involve forgiveness, a letting go, a lightening of the physical or emotional load in order to enter a new chapter with joy. People are often connecting with their deepest priorities, such as: grace, blessings, family, hope, God, and thanksgiving. Consider sending a meaningful New Year message that aligns with who you are now, and who you hope to become in the new year. Or, jump down to see Bible verses for New Year.
- May you experience 2,022 blessings in this new year!
- I thank God for you every day! As we enter a new year I pray his peace and protection over you and your family.
- By God’s grace we’re at a new beginning. May we honor Him in this new year!
- New Year, new leaf! I want to ask for your forgiveness for the ways I’ve been thoughtless during this past year and recommit myself to being the friend I want to be. You mean so much to me.
- Of all the gifts God has given me in this life, my favorite one is you!
- When I count my blessings, I like to count you twice. You mean so much to me!
- May God’s favor be upon you in the coming year!
Bible Verses for New Year
- “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the NEW creation has come: The old has gone, the NEW is here!” 2 Corinthians 5:17
- “...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31
- “Your beginnings will seem humble, so prosperous will your future be.” Job 8:7
- “He has made everything beautiful in its time.” Ecclesiastes 3:11
- “What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
- “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6
Motivational New Year Wishes
New Year = new start! The turning of a calendar year is an ideal time to capitalize on motivation and make moves (big or small) to turn your dreams into your reality. If you want to let your strength and motivational energy spill into the lives of others: great! We’d encourage you to aim for a Happy New Year message that is heavy on the support and light on the instruction. In other words, be a cheerleader and not a coach. A few carefully chosen words of reinforcement can go a long way!
- There are over 31 million seconds in a year. I’m wishing you good luck and great joy in every one of them. I believe in you!
- This new year is just the blank canvas you need. I’ve heard before that you don’t find yourself, you create yourself.
- This next year is going to be quite a ride, and I’ll be here for the entire thing!
- You are my sun and moon and stars. There’s nothing you can’t do!
- Watching you become more of yourself every day is a privilege, and one I don’t take lightly. You’re a masterpiece.
- Sometimes the things that are really worth doing are hard. I see you, I believe in you, I support you all the way!
SMS Message for New Year
New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day are really stand-out occasions. Something so grand has been recognized and celebrated in a huge variety of ways throughout millenia. However, a relatively new way to recognize the new year is with a text message! The first-ever text message was sent from a computer in December of 1992 and received on a cell phone that weighed over four and half pounds! So…a few things have changed. The great news about sending your New Year well-wishes by text (besides the fact that your phone won’t weigh the same as a small baby) is that your message can be tailored to be just as sincere and heart-felt as you would like. Use your favorite celebratory emojis, attach a favorite picture, or pick a creative time to send your message (20:22 = 8:22pm) to help your sms New Year message ring in 2022 with style!
- Welcome to 2022! Can’t wait to see what you and I will find to do!
- Let’s all cheer, New Year is here!
- What could be said with a New Year rhyme that hasn’t already been said a million times? Here’s the thing: I love you true and will continue that way in 2022!
- HAPPY (I mean it, really HAPPY) New Year!
Give the Perfect Card for New Year with HELLOFROM
Here at HELLOFROM we work hard not to play favorites with holidays, but New Year is just so special. Our extensive card selection for this occasion has been curated by gurus who can assist you in finding that just-right fit for anyone (or everyone) on your list. Our high-quality cards feature creative design from hundreds of artists and wordsmiths who have aligned themselves with the production direction of HELLOFROM. Reason #2,022 HELLOFROM can help you send your best wishes for a brand new year: your delivery even comes with a stamp!